General William Wallace Atterbury
William Wallace Atterbury was born 31
January 1866, at New Albany, Indiana, the son of John Guest Atterbury
(02/07/1811 - 08/24/1887) and Catherine Jones Larned (11/15/1822 - ). He
married Minnie Hoffman, on 11/13/1895 at Fort Wayne, Indiana. She died
in 1910. He then married, as his second wife, Arminia C. Rosengarten
MacLeod of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 06/10/1915. She was born about
1885 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
William Wallace graduated in the Class
of 1886, at the Sheffield Scientific School of Yale University, with the
degree of Ph. B. In 1911 he received an honorary M. A. at Yale, and
honorary degrees of LL.D. at the University of Pennsylvania in 1919, at
Yale in 1926, and at Villanova in 1927. He began as an apprentice in the
Pennsylvania Railroad shops at Altoona, Pennsylvania, in 1886. He
continued with the railroad and became General Manager of the lines east
of Pittsburgh and Erie in 1903-1909. In 1909 he was Vice-President, and was
Vice-President in charge of operation on 05/08/1912.
He was granted a leave of absence on
08/06/1917, to direct the construction and operation of the United
States Military Railways in France.
He was commissioned Brigadier General
of the United States Army on 10/05/1917, during World War I and was
discharged on 05/31/1919. He returned to the Pennsylvania Railroad on
03/01/1920, as Vice-President in charge of operations and became
President on 10/01/1925.
He is a Director of many corporations
and a member of many engineering and learned societies. His home is in
He was awarded the Distinguished
Service Medal (United States), and is a Commander of the Legion of Honor
(France); Companion of the Most Honorable Order of the Bath (England);
Commander of the Royal Order of the White Eagle (Srbis), and Grand
Officer of the Order of the Crown (Roumania).
Arminia C. Rosengarten MacLeod had two
children by her first marriage, who bear the name Atterbury: 1) Malcolm
MacLeod Atterbury, born about 1910 and adopted by William Wallace in
1915, and 2) George Rosengarten MacLeod Atterbury, born about 1912 and
also adopted by William Wallace in 1915, and who is a member of the
Class of 1935 at the Sheffield Scientific School, Yale University.
William Wallace and Arminia C.
Atterbury had one child, William Wallace. born about 1917.
In honor of William Wallace
Atterbury's accomplishments, two World War II Army camps in Indiana were
named after him, namely Atterbury Army Air Field at Columbus (later
re-named Bakalar Air Force Base and later Columbus Municipal Airport),
and Camp Atterbury at Edinburg.
Source of above information:
"The Descendants of Job
Atterbury" by L. Effingham deForest, M.A., J.D., F.S.G., F.I.A.G.
and Anne Lawrence DeForest. Published by the deForest Publishing
Company, New York, NY, 1933
President William Wallace Atterbury
William Wallace Atterbury served as
president of the Pennsylvania Railroad, a Conrail predecessor, from 1925
to 1935. As a young man working through an apprentice course at the
railroad's Altoona, Pa., shops, Atterbury, like many of today's
students, sought ways to earn extra income. In particular, he rented out
his bed during the day to a railroad police officer who worked nights.
Eight years before his presidency would begin, Atterbury spent time in
France overseeing a part of the French railway system that was assigned
to the American Army for maintenance and everyday operation. While
there, he was nicknamed "General Attaboy" by local troops.
Atterbury is most closely identified with the electrification of the
245-mile multitrack main line between New York and Washington, D.C., a
project that cost $250 million and began in the late 1920s. Completed in
1935, it was the largest capital improvement plan undertaken at the time
by an American railroad. One project, though, captivated Atterbury more
than electrification-the development of the M1 class steam locomotive.
Atterbury was able to assist in the creation of the first M1, which was
outshopped in Altoona in 1923 and used mainly for freight service.(Norfolk
Southern Public Relations, 2/12/99)
of The Ragged Edge Inn
The Inn was built by Colonel Moorhead
C. Kennedy, President of the Cumberland Valley Railroad (CVRR) and
Vice-President of the Pennsylvania Railroad. Colonel Kennedy was a
stately Victorian Man, educated at Princeton University. He and his wife
were loved and respected by the community. Moorhead C. Kennedy passed
away at his beloved Ragged Edge and is buried at the Falling Springs
Church in Chambersburg.
Ragged Edge is rich in railroad history and was known for its annual stag receptions held on a Saturday in October every year. Guests were brought by private railroad car. 100 to 200 guests were entertained at a time. Sleeper cars were developed by the CVRR and used to sleep the many guests. Guests included Brigadier General Atterbury, French General Foch, and General Purshing. Colonel Kennedy was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal by the War Department for handling all transportation of soldiers and equipment in France and England during WWI. The French General honored him with the cannon which resides at the American Legion here in town. Other guests at Ragged Edge included politicians, governors, judges, investment bankers from New York and Philadelphia, lawyers, university presidents, etc.
Suburban Station was built by the
Pennsylvania Railroad as part of a 1920’s city-wide project to revamp
the transportation infrastructure and correct some railroad-created
eyesores. The project was known as The Philadelphia Improvements.
Its inspiration derived from a more than gentle nudge by the city Art
Commission, combined with a basic economic need to improve service in a
growing market. The core improvements were replacing the railroad’s
stations located at 32nd and Market Streets in West Philadelphia, and
the Broad Street Station, located at 15th and Market Streets, adjacent
to City Hall in the heart of the city. Through passenger traffic would
be accommodated by a new Pennsylvania Station at 30th and Market
Streets; commuter traffic would be handled jointly by the 30th
Street Station and a new combination office building and station
structure to be built one block northwest of Broad Street Station. From
conception, and for many years following, the station was referred to as
Broad Street Suburban Station, mainly for continuity with its
predecessor, Broad Street Station. It was later renamed Penn Center
Suburban Station, or simply, Suburban Station.
Suburban Station would have its tracks
placed under the street level in a stub-ended subway which would connect
with the upper level at 30th Street Station. Above Suburban’s
concourse level station would be a 22-story office structure (the
visible part from the street) occupying a city block, 20 floors of which
were leased as office space. A lower mezzanine level provided shops,
ticket offices and services for commuters, center city workers, and
visitors. It also provided a link to the city’s vast underground
concourse system. The new complex was a vast improvement to the
"Chinese Wall" which formed an elevated access to Broad Street
Station. The removal of the wall would open 18 acres of city space to
office, commercial, and recreational development. The railroad saw
economic opportunities since it owned the land.
The technology of the Twenties,
especially the push for electrification, gave this project impetus. A
large portion of the railroad which serviced commuters had been
electrified the decade before. The Main Line was electrified as far as
Paoli in 1915; the Chestnut Hill branch in 1918; and the Norristown
branch in 1930. Electric powered rail cars replaced the steam engine and
its problematic exhaust, thereby making an underground station feasible.
The Improvements began with
construction of the subway and the two new stations. Other phases of the
project called for the relocation of engine facilities; the revision of
the city track plan; the construction of new tunnels and bridges within
the city; and a new central post office at 30th Street, across from the
new passenger terminal. The project was initiated with a ceremony held
July 28, 1927 at 20th and Cuthbert Streets. Mayor W. Freeland Kendrick and
Pennsylvania Railroad president General W. W. Atterbury performed
BRIDGE TO FRANCE
In October, 1917, General W. W. Atterbury, Director-General of Transportation in France,
cabled Mr. S. M. Felton, Director-General of Military Railways, in
Washington, stating that England was shipping locomotives, already
assembled, across the channel to France. However, they were being
shipped across a channel only twenty-miles wide, which was an easy task
compared with shipping American locomotives of standard size across the
Atlantic Ocean. General Atterbury pointed out the advantages afforded by
having these English engines ready to be put into service when they
arrived in France, stating: "We can see no good reason why
locomotives being sent us from America cannot be shipped in as complete
condition as those being shipped to France from England. If this can be
done, it will very materially reduce the time and labor required for
getting these locomotives into service; and it is especially important
that, if possible, this be arranged for, as our facilities at St.
Nazaire for doing this work are extremely limited at best, and it is
going to be a very difficult matter under present conditions to assemble
these locomotives and get them out of the way quickly enough to avoid
congestion at the port."
from the Harbord
© 2005 James D. West - Indiana Military Org
All Rights Reserved
Page Last Revised